Sunday 11 March 2007

Albums Reunited

Due to a tank of dodgy fuel, my car is out of action. Luckily the in-laws have lent me their car so I can still get to work (no public transport, unless I want to take all day to get there). It has a cassette player which has forced me to dig out all those old cassettes of mine, with recordings of all my old vinyl. I haven't heard some of this stuff for years! Brian Eno's "Another Green World", Gryphon's "Red Queen to Gryphon Three", Quiet Sun's "Mainstream", International Harvester's "Sov Got Rose Marie". All great albums that have been hidden away for years. I do now notice how ancient some of it sounds though, those squeeky synth sounds and muffled studio recording (although that might be down to the age of my tapes!). Within a few minutes though I forget that and just indulge in those early 70s sounds.
I find the same happens with the 80s. Nasty sounding synth squeals to begin with, then 10 minutes later, I'm just enjoying some great music.

All this nostalgia is making me itch to dig out my hamster driven turntable from the loft. I am slowly buying old vinyl albums on new shiny CDs, but you can't beat a big cover, two sides and a bit of dust. I used to know what the track titles were, but now it's just "track 4 is great".

I feel old. Bah!

No comments: