Friday 2 March 2007

New Old Albums

Speaking of Claire Hamill, I was rather pleased to get a couple of her old albums on CD from Japan. They are miniature versions of the original LP sleeves, even down to the insert found in Abracadabra. So cute!
In the same post, and from the same era ('74/75) I also got Steve Hackett's "Voyage of The Acolyte", and I had to laugh at seeing the bonus track "Shadow Of the Hierophant (extended version)" being 17 minutes long. Someone must have thought that 11 minutes just wasn't long enough; let's make a long progrock classic even longer (and having heard it, I don't see the point - the original is just the right length but has an unnecessary fade-out (UFO), the extended version just drags on and still has the UFO. I was expecting some sort of proper conclusion that didn't fit on the original vinyl LP).
Yes, I hate UFOs. Why not end a track properly! It is like being at a great party, then someone ties you to a chair and slowly moves the party down the street leaving you stuck behind. Grrr.
(Note that I don't condemn all fade-outs, just the unnecessary ones!)
I shall attempt to review these albums shortly (all favourites for 20 years, that makes me feel old.)

No comments: